Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chocolate Quinoa Candy Bars

Storm Large improvises in the kitchen

This post originally led off with a quinoa video that has since been taken down. The recipes are still available at these links. In this segment Portland, OR singer Storm Large demonstrated her creations Roasted Vegetables with Toasty Quinoa and Yam Soup With Blood Orange Juice.

Storm's tip for cooking quinoa is to toast the quinoa in oil before adding water. This should be familiar to those who have cooked Rice a Roni or Near East pilaf.

Best quote - "God was drunk when he made blood oranges." I am not quite sure what she means, but I think blood oranges look like someone had a sense of humor.

I found a few quinoa products around the web yesterday.

Chocolate Quinoa Candy Bars


Alter Eco sells a free trade Dark Chocolate Quinoa candy bar. I am pretty certain that if you bought a box of these and handed them out at the company Christmas party, no one would complain they already have plenty of these at home. :-)

Actually, I thought the price rather extravagant. I mean honestly, does the chocolate really require 72 hours of cooking? In Switzerland?

Then today, I shopped at Whole Foods and I saw they have granola bars at the register that are $3.79 for a 1.9 ounce bar, so I guess the Alter Eco Dark Chocolate Quinoa Bar is a fair price. 

I have one more thought about this I would like to share. I think it is a shame that the natural resources, the cacao and the quinoa, for example, are taken from the less developed world and transported to Switzerland to manufacture the chocolate. I wish the countries that cultivate quinoa could build their own chocolate factories some day and reap more of the benefits of their labor.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

Ready to Eat Quinoa


Merchant Gourmet in London sells ready-to-eat quinoa in pouches. They even have a ready-to-eat wholewheat, red quinoa, toasted soya flakes and lentils mix. Very convenient for dressing up a  salad, just tear open a pouch, pour over vegetables, and toss with dressing.

Conveniently, I have no opinion about the price. I am oblivious because pounds are something this American is looking to lose, not save.

Quinoa Recipes 10/5/10


Portobello Mushroom Stuffed with Quinoa, Spinach, and Pancetta - This recipe is from the Merchant Gourmet site and uses the Ready to Eat Quinoa they sell. Not vegetarian, and oh boy, this recipe makes my mouth water. I am a huge mycophile and with the quinoa and the spinach I think it could be death by fungi for me.

Spicy Quinoa Stuffed Peppers - This may be my favorite stuffing so far, I love black beans and corn.  I will split my peppers and cook them on their sides from now on. Folks who don't want a whole pepper will be more inclined to try the smaller serving, plus I can mound up any extra stuffing. And, yes, the peppers will behave better for the tongs and spatula this way.

Quinoa Risotto - more a photo journal than a recipe, this series shows the asparagus, shiitake, parmasan and the final risotto. We are left to work out the measurements on our own. But again, here we have a quinoa recipe that makes this mycophile drool.

How did you cook quinoa today? Let me know in the comments.

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not to mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.



You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment