Thursday, October 14, 2010

Turmeric Red and White Quinoa With Mint



I had some colorful fun with my quinoa over the weekend. I wanted to use the red quinoa I bought last week, but had no particular red quinoa dish in mind. Then I remembered a new bottle of turmeric and I started to think how pretty turmeric quinoa would be with the red to offset it.

Turmeric Red and White Quinoa With Mint 


1 tbsp of red quinoa
Enough white quinoa to measure 1 cup total
1 3/4 cup water or stock
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 oz (roughly 1 cup) mint leaves chopped fine.

I put the tablespoon of red quinoa into a cup and then filled the rest of the cup with white quinoa. I tried cooking the quinoa with a little less liquid than a straight 2:1 ratio, and I like the texture of the quinoa better this way. I used water and stirred in the turmeric and salt before bringing to a boil.

I simmered the quinoa for 15 minutes.

All the water was absorbed, so I stirred in the mint leaves and let the pot of quinoa sit, covered, for about three minutes before serving.

I served this pilaf with vibrant vegetables (summer and zucchini squashes, red bell pepper, onion) sauteed with garlic and ginger.



Very delicious, aromatic, and visually appealing dish!

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.



You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment