Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What Does Quinoa look like?


Yesterday I came across stunning quinoa photos at Zigzo's Zlinks.They look like desert wildflowers, don't they? I read somewhere that quinoa is related to tumbleweeds. Looking at these photos, I believe it.

Here is a great video that shows the quinoa crop and harvest in Bolivia.

High Brow Quinoa


Leave it to the New York Times. They took a simple crumble and dressed it up to a Plum and Fig Crumble with Quinoa-Oat Topping.

The figs intrigue me.  Have you ever eaten a fresh fig?


I have not and if I prepared this I would have to buy an extra fig to try for myself.

Quinoa Recipes 10/4/10


Here is a sampling of quinoa recipes found around the web yesterday:

Quinoa-Oat Crumble Topping - This is a great crumb topping you can prepare ahead and keep frozen. This will be a gluten-free topping if you buy gluten-free oats and your spice mill does not contaminate your quinoa with gluten from other flours.

Note: Oats are naturally gluten-free but often suffer cross-contamination from other grains when processed on the same machines. Gluten-free oats are processed under stringent controls that prevent contamination from other grains.

Delicata Squash and Quinoa Pilaf - I had never even heard of a delicata squash but it turns out I have seen them at the store. I always thought they were decorative gourds, not cooking squashes. Silly me. 

I think it would be fun to stuff acorn and delicata squashes for the same meal. I could try them both and see which I prefer. 

Pineapple Cashew Quinoa Stir Fry - I found this recipe from a post on the Burning River blog where Suz recommends cooking the quinoa ahead to cut down on prep time and halving the recommended 10-14 minute stir fry time.

Applesauce Quinoa - Single serving size recipe designed to be served with pork chops. This recipe could easily be multiplied to serve a crowd.

Omnivorous Confessions


As promised, I did not cook anything quinoa today. We had chicken prepared with a delicious dinner-in-a-box package that was tasty indeed. I must admit I was thinking the whole time how delicious the leftovers will be with quinoa tomorrow.

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not to mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.



You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Hey just wanted to say thank you for linking to my post!! (zigzo zlinks)... really made my day!

    ReplyDelete