Thursday, September 30, 2010

Whatever Rice Can Do, Quinoa Can Do Better

Quinoa (KEEN-wah) is America's new favorite superfood. Qunioa packs a nutritional punch that puts rice and wheat to shame, and based on yesterday's quinoa recipes on blogs it would seem that quinoa blends seamlessly into any culture's dishes. I believe whatever rice can do, quinoa can do better.

Quinoa Recipes 9/29/10


Here is a sampling of quinoa recipes posted around the blogiverse yesterday:

Zuppa Fiorentina - a simple Italian soup.

Quinoa Pilaf featuring Apple Mint - a twist on a Mediterranean favorite that was inspired by the abundance of apple mint in the blogger's garden.

Cornucopia of Quinoa

Apple and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash - an autumn treat I know my mother will love. I will be preparing this soon.

Roasted Vegetable and Garlic Quinoa - I imagine this could fill my kitchen with savory aromas this winter.

Bulk Quinoa at Whole Foods


1 lb quinoa
I went to the store and bought a pound of quinoa yesterday. I hadn't been able to find quinoa in the local Market Basket, but Whole Foods has a bulk grains section that sells a pound for about the same price as the 14 ounce package I bought at Market Basket over the summer. What a relief, to pay less for something at Whole Foods. Plus Whole Foods is about .8 miles from my new home, so I can walk there and make the trip a health bonus.

Today I plan to cook Salvadoran Red Beans and Lime Quinoa, I will let you know how that turns out.

Remember: Whatever rice can do, quinoa can do better. 

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not to mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.



You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment