Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Blame It On Betty White (What Started This Quinoa Kick?)

I have seen quinoa referenced in many vegan cookbooks over the years. I have weighed the purchase at the supermarket against a pound of rice and always I have passed on the more expensive quinoa.

Betty White on SNL and quinoa


This year, like so many others in America, I tuned in to watch Betty White on SNL 5/08/10. During the Delicious Dish segment, Molly Shannon introduced America to quinoa, pronounced KEEN-wah, and my interest was piqued. (at 1:21 minutes)



Certain words with their lesser known, fancy pronunciations have a way of becoming fashionable in our world and at that moment I believed I had stumbled onto a rising quinoa meme.

Sure enough, I found when using this word over the summer that no one of my acquaintance was familiar with the proper pronunciation. I realized I needed to educate a lot of people quickly or risk sounding an insufferable snoot every time I said it.

Quinoa demand on the rise


Reading up on this pseudocereal, I find Indian Country Today reports the price of quinoa has increased 15 fold since the eighties and US quinoa imports more than doubled from 2007 to 2009. I suspect that demand will continue to increase for quinoa in the coming years as more Americans embrace a vegetarian lifestyle.

Of course, none of this would have interested me if Betty White hadn't hosted SNL. I like that she is still one of the trendsetters in my life.

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not to mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.



You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment