Monday, October 25, 2010

Soaking Quinoa

Some people recommend soaking quinoa every time you cook with it. Personally, I find that as long as I rinse the quinoa before I use it, I do not have any problems with bitterness or digestive upset, so I do not bother soaking quinoa that I will cook.

However, I have been interested in preparing quinoa to eat raw. There are two ways to prepare quinoa raw:

  1. Soak the quinoa overnight to make a nutty, crunchy salad base.
  2. Sprout the quinoa to make a sprout salad.

Soaking Quinoa


I soaked quinoa for the first time over the weekend.

To begin, I rinsed the quinoa using my plastic strainer.


Then I put the seeds in a bowl, covered them with about 3/4 of an inch of water, and placed the bowl in the refrigerator overnight. Most sources recommended soaking quinoa for 12-14 hours - I wound up soaking it about 18 hours before I made my salad.

I drained the water from the quinoa using my strainer again, and rinsed away the soapy residue on the seeds.

I measured the quinoa before I made the salad. After soaking, quinoa had doubled in size, going from 1 cup to 2 cups. This quinoa had a chewing texture somewhat similar to chopped walnuts - nutty but easy on the teeth. The seeds still looked very much as they did dry.

I am very interested in learning different ways to use soaked quinoa in my kitchen. I wonder if it can be used in cookies or if the quinoa would change when baked.

You can see the salad I made after soaking quinoa here ==> Easy Quinoa Salad.

Did you know if you aren’t subscribing to How Do You Cook Quinoa? at the new domain, you risk missing out on new posts and quinoa recipes? Not mention the upcoming quinoa contest. Subscribe today and learn tasty new ways to enjoy quinoa along with other exciting (and sometimes exotic) ingredients.




You may also follow @keenonquinoa on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment